Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday June 07, 2009 Training Ride

Day one of training with the Scott and BR Cycling Team benefitting the Challenged Athletes Foundation. I’m already psyched about participating. I’m still wondering how I got in and grateful that I have. I rode with some really good people today on the first 40 mile training ride with the Qualcomm riders and my fellow “radio people” riders. I talked to Mike Henderson, last year’s winner about occupations, cycling and little things while riding on the return leg from Oceanside to Del Mar. I got to talk to a couple of the other Qualcomm riders and alums about their experiences. One of the guys who was one of our “radio people’s” group leaders told me about the beauty of riding in Big Sur last year and the humility of helping a soldier for Operation Rebound get up Torrey Pines hill. I had read about this soldier myself. He had taken a mortar in the side of his body. He had a mistyped blood transfusion and almost died several times. He was riding a hand cycle up Torrey and struggling I believe the story went. I hope that I’m able to ride alongside a brave challenged athlete along the way in my training and fund raising for the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Extraordinary people doing extraordinary things. I was happy to meet Scott Kaplan and Billy Ray Smith. I was sad to hear that Br had crashed on the way up to Oceanside. He wasn’t seriously hurt but his ride was over as he caught the SAG wagon back. Luckily Scott K. was riding along side. Hope Br continues riding with us. I’m even more inspired to do what I can to raise funds for Challenged Athletes. Tried to get my fund raising page up from my Team DefenseWeb Triathlon Challenge registration, but can’t find my login info. Better luck tomorrow. Grateful to be participating. Now, out for an afternoon run.

No comments:

Post a Comment