Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday June 28, 2009 SDIT


Did you ever have one of those days where everything just sort of fell into place? I had one today. I didn't do the "Train to Anaheim" training ride with the Qualcomm Million Dollar Challenge riders because I competed in the San Diego International Triathlon. I've been sick all week and haven't been able to train; kind of a forced taper week. I volunteered at the race expo yesterday and last night was feeling the effect of some kind of respiratory illness and questioning whether or not I should race. I went to bed and forgot to set the alarm! Well, I awaken from a very strange dream at 4:17, just about the time I should get out of bed on race morning. I feel a little better than last night so I take it as an omen that I could actually get through the race. So, I get in the car and drive 8 west. Work men are getting ready to cut down a power line that spans the 8. I am one of the last cars through before the Highway Patrol performs a traffic break. Hmmmm. Ok, well I think to myself, "I'm just going to go with this". I talk to some friends at the transition area and then it's time to get into the water for the race start. Bob Babbitt from CAF and Competitor Magazine is chatting with the guys in the water, and there's a great vibe in the group. The horn blows, and when I do my first sight stroke, Bob's like a motor boat out in front of the pack and I smile to myself and get into my stroke. The swim goes really well; I only got smacked once. My bike leg goes really well and I started to feel strong. I found a nice, quick cadence for my run and kept it throughout, letting one of my fellow Triclub S. D. pace me through the run. I turn for the finish and see my bro & sis in-law and my nephew and friend holding a sign, "Go Uncle Rob, You're the Best!" Man, it just doesn't get better than that! I had trouble with my timer/heart rate monitor, so I had no idea what my finishing time was, but I really didn't care. It was a great day! Now, for a well deserved nap.

1 comment:

  1. Rob,

    Glad to hear that the Tri went well this weekend. Looks like karma was on your side.

    Hope to see you this following Sunday at the Velodrome.

    Mike Henderson
    www.fidingwaystohelpothers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete